View Single Post
Old January 14, 2012, 03:19 AM   #24
cloud8a

Quote:
In the state of Ohio doing what he did is illegal. I am not in the mood to tear into the O.R.C. but it is made out (as clear as lawyer speak can be) that a beating by fists isn't mortal danger.
I think it has been established on easily more than a thousand occasions that fists can be lethal. As far as the law goes in each individual state concerning self defense, that is the sole responsibility of the gun carrier to know like the back of his hand. That being said, there could be a distinction made between brandishing a firearm that is still holstered and placing your hand on a holstered firearm. The former could be saying "Look, I have a gun on my hip", the latter being a ready position not necessarily intending the target to understand I am armed.
In my opinion, letting a threat know you are armed and to leave you alone under the umbrella of your known state laws that allow that, is the responsible thing to do. I am talking ideal circumstances here.
When I am unsure I look to LEO policy. I think it is a rare occurrence that even an undercover LEO has thrown his shirt open to show a threatening target he has a gun. The gun is either out and on the target or holstered and concealed.
The best bet is to question an LEO thoroughly about your local gun laws and know your state gun laws thoroughly, and knowing is half the battle

Page generated in 0.03455 seconds with 8 queries