View Single Post
Old June 4, 2014, 08:05 PM   #9
Vale.308

Thanks for all the replies. I'm here to learn and appreciate all the input. When I make it back to my loading book I can give more specific info but for now this is what I know. To set my sizing die, with the shell holder installed and no case, I brought the ram down putting the shell holder all the way up. I then screwed in the sizing die until it made contact with the shell holder and tightened it down. Then left the primer (push rod?) just far enough out to push out the primer.
With the crimping die, I used a factory round that I know operates well, in the shell holder and ran it up. I slowly threaded in the die until it made contact, then did the same with the center rod that sets bullet depth. Then slowly adjusted from there until I got the same OAL as the factory round. I will post all my measurements later tonight. My powder data I got out of an older book and will update that soon but it did have a load for 165/168 grain bullet with 2230 powder listed at 42.5 grains @ around 2600fps. I'm starting to think the problem is between improperly set dies and crappy cases. I'm using lake city brass that originally shot great through the rifle and another brand I wasn't as familiar with. The boxes were marked CCI and the cases are stamped with cbc 12 and cbc 13. Thinking back I had a lot of similar extraction issues with that cbc ammo when I was running it through a semi auto DPMS. Although, it ran just fine through an M1a this last weekend so who knows. Some of the cases I'm using now did run through my semi auto but I figured the sizing die would take care of that. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong here and I'll give all my measurements later. Thanks.

Page generated in 0.02442 seconds with 8 queries