View Single Post
Old September 12, 2010, 07:04 PM   #13
johnbt

"The standard configuration STILL includes IE6 and Office 2003. Goodness gracious." - me

"According to some IT folks I know (not to mention my own experience as an end user) that probably is a conscious (and wise) decision." - you

But they keep sending us - the front line employees - emails with links to sign up for mandatory trainings and such that don't work with IE6. We just get error messages. (At first it was central office reports in .pdf and we didn't have the ability to open them. The machines are locked down. It's always something.)

I do job/career counseling and testing with individuals with disabilities. The high school kids & recent college students need to use what they've been studying, not whatever the government finds convenient. (I'd like a new monitor too. That square 17" one we're given is hard on my old eyes.)

And here I sit at home surfing the net on a 2-year-old system built around an Intel board and quad core processor. FiOS rocks. I don't even mind Vista and IE8, I can deal with it. I have a new pc built every 4 years or so.

We got more done at work when we had 2 Apple II's, a Packard-Bell 386sx, and a Leading Edge Model D w/640k and no hard drive, but 2x5.25" floppies. But back then we simply pirated the software we needed. Now we have to beg the boss, the central office IT people, the state VITA people and our Northrop-Grumman masters.

Grrrr.

And I'm not buying that 2 failed circuit boards crippled the state's IT network for a WEEK.

"STATEMENT FROM VIRGINIA SECRETARY OF TECHNOLOGY JIM DUFFEY

5 p.m., Monday, August 30, 2010

On Wednesday, August 25, at approximately 3 p.m., the Commonwealth of Virginia experienced an information technology (IT) infrastructure outage that affected 27 of the Commonwealth’s 89 agencies and caused 13 percent of the Commonwealth’s file servers to fail. The failure was in the equipment used for data storage, commonly known as a storage area network (SAN). Specifically, the SAN that failed was an EMC DMX-3.

According to the manufacturer of the storage system, the events that led to the outage appear to be unprecedented. "

No backup. Oops. And our leaders are the same people who are in charge of our state's terrorism planning?

Last edited by johnbt; September 12, 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.02580 seconds with 8 queries