View Single Post
Old March 15, 2009, 04:54 PM   #83
Semi-jacketed

Glenn Myer, I do not take your response as nasty. I see not ill intent there, but do see some frustration. Actually I agree with you, but there is indeed a deterrent factor. As an aside, a courthouse is not a police station unless one is HQ'd there. And my previous argument as to making carry onerous while allowing it remains valid in Virginia as well as Alabama. Saying that, "Yes, you can CCW," with one side of the mouth, while denying a host of places to legally carry out of the other side shows the real intent. (i.e., We'll let you carry to shut you up, but not places that make us nervous or where people actually congregate.)

A single, inattentive LEO is no deterrent to anyone. Which was part of my point. A single armed individual may deter a moment of opportunity; however, should there be no deterrent factor at all at least the act of termination of the threat is available when carry is actually freely allowed. That option does not exist when carry is so curtailed as to be unviable, but allowed in theory.

To a truly irrational person, there is no such thing as deterrence. In their damaged mind they have a mission. As you stated, then an armed response may be necessary to end it. Only possible when armed obviously. But to truly believe that a criminal wouldn't be deterred by the high probability of armed response is not thinking things through.

Page generated in 0.03348 seconds with 8 queries