View Single Post
Old December 13, 2013, 09:49 AM   #13
kraigwy

I've gotten a lot of antelope over the years, I don't think its quite as bad as the OP indicates, but it takes a bit of thinking.

Never shoot at running antelope. Lets say they go anywhere from 30 to 50 MPH. That's 44 to 73.5 FPS.

The time of flight for, lets say a 130 gr 270 is .329 seconds at 300 yards. During the bullets travel the goat can run 14 - 24 feet. That's some lead, but, we don't carry radars, so we don't know if the critter is running 30, 40 or 50 MPH, or what angle. So we can't possibly know how much to lead them.

Be confident in your shooting. If you know you had a good shot, don't assume you miss it the goat runs off. They may or may not display signs of being hit, and depending on the distance you may miss any sign they are hit. The run off and you assume you missed.

Year before last I shot one and blew its lungs out, turned them to the consistency of wet coffee grounds. It showed no sign of being hit, I thought I missed. It ran about 150 yards and did a double summer sault.

Take the time to check the area if you think you missed. I've run across a few dead goats that some one shot, and assumed they missed and didn't check to be sure.

Most people over estimate the range. Antelope are small, plus often standing in tall grass or sage making them look smaller. Range finders don't work that well on the prairie. My Luppy range finder can reach 900 yards in the mountains but I'm lucky to get 400 on the prairie.

I find Mil Dots work better for antelope hunting. Antelope average about 14.5 inches from the top of their back to the bottom of their stomach. At about 300 yards (295.5) the antelope will be about 1.4 mils. at 150 yards about 2.75 mils. 1 mil will be about 417 yards.

Do a chart of mils vs distance and tape it to your stock.

Another given, if you set, kneel or lay down to shoot, you're going to be setting, kneeling or laying in cactus, Its the law of the west.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03495 seconds with 8 queries