View Single Post
Old November 6, 2010, 01:46 AM   #11
Uncle Buck

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading.

I started with the rockchucker kit by RCBS. It comes with a reloading manual. If all you can afford right now is a reloading manual, I would pick up a copy of Lyman's #49.

I reload for all three of the cartridges you mention (Just started the 30-06) and have found the kit I have does a good job for me.

Check prices and shop around. If you are comfortable with e-bay, yo can pick up some good deals on kits and dies (Especially dies!) there. Just keep an eye out on the shipping cost. (I have two sets of 30-06 dies, three pieces, one of them I bought for $5.00 on eBay and paid $4.50 shipping.)

For the pistol you will definitely want to get the carbide die. AND DON'T FORGET THE SHELL HOLDER! (Not that I would ever forget it. )

Also, before I forget, Lee Dies work in the RCBS equipment and RCBS dies work in the Lee Equipment. If you go green, you do not have to stay green.

You'll want to fool around with different powder/bullet configurations.

When you come upon deals and specials grab them. Sometimes you will see primers at a cheap price. (You need large rifle primers and depending on which powders you are using for the .357 Mag, will need either small pistol o r small pistol magnum primers.) As for powder, check your reloading manual and see what they recommend. You see a lot of guys post here (I am guilty of this also) that say they have powder XYZ and bullet ZYX, does anyone have a load for it? If we had done our homework, we would have had a load already figured up and bought the powder we need.

Lead is cheaper to shoot than plated or jacketed bullets. I use lead bullets in my .357's.

I guess my biggest suggestion is, like the guys above mention, get a couple of reloading manuals. If they confuse the heck out of you, and I am sure they will, ask questions. Someone here will be able to help you out.

I am glad to hear you are putting the wife first, instead of the reloading. I used to have a friend who felt his hobby was more important than his family.

Page generated in 0.03007 seconds with 8 queries