View Single Post
Old August 24, 2010, 11:22 AM   #10
kraigwy

Quote:
Why? Folks who aren't in a club or CMP affiliated less deserving? Less apprieciative of fine american warhorses
Well that's not really the case. There are several exemptions to the Club Rules.

In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

However, the CMP and its forerunner the DCM were commissioned by congress to instruct Civilians in Military type Marksmanship instruction. The Club membership was suppose to insure that was the purpose of buying the surplus rifles.

Under the DCM tax dollars funded the training, where as under the CMP, surplus sales funds the training.

Where else can you buy surplus military weapons from the government?

Most of the guns you get from CMP now are turn backs from countries we loaned the rifles to after WWII. Part of the agreement was these rifles were to be turned back to the US if they were deemed no longer needed. (Hence the current Greek Return M1s available now).

It's not Obama that's the problem here as indicated by the Topic Heading, its South Korea. Instead of turning back the rifles per the loan agreement, they want to sell them to us on their own. I'm not sure its legal for US Citizens to buy military arms from foreign countries, and that is pre-obama rules.
(the illegal part is just a guess on my part, I can't lay my hands on the law)
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03448 seconds with 8 queries