View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 03:15 PM   #35
Dragline45

Quote:
I typically carry an extra mag and right now, I just have one extra. Every 2 weeks, I have a different one at home with the spring taken out
Quote:
Bill, springs wear out regardless of what they are made of, used for, or their thickness. This is a fact of engineering/physics. They more compression and longer comp time, the quicker their properties change. I WILL grant you that the change may be so small that it nearly immeasurable over the magazine's useful life. However, without the data to back it up, I like to play it safe. The practice extends their lives by 33% (theoretically). Obviously the clear solution is to buy mags solely for SD, which I will soon be doing.
You say it extends the life of the springs by 33% theoretically, so really you have no idea.

Leaving the springs out of the magazine will not save the life of your springs anymore than if you left the spring in the mag unloaded. I have never heard of anyone doing this before, and it's because it really is a waste of time. I can buy a pack of springs for under $15 dollars, if I am really that concerned about spring strength I'll swap them out at the end of the year, it's not like the springs are priceless or hard to find (usually).

In fact, I will go as far to say that you are putting more wear on your springs from constantly removing and inserting them into the mag body every two weeks then just letting the mag sit unloaded with the spring in it.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 26, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.02276 seconds with 8 queries