View Single Post
Old March 31, 2005, 08:21 PM   #13

Bikenjam -
Ruger #1 is spot on in his info. The 64gr. Power Points will work fine for a deer load if you feel the need. The bullet will NOT spin apart in your 1-8" twist as I have watched more than 50,000rds of this stuff go through our PD's 1-7" guns with no problems. At autopsy, I can confirm that this bullet mushrooms with very little fragmentation, at least on humans. Do NOT use 60gr. V-Max bullets in a deer load as it fragments too much, giving insufficient penetration for your task; it is a varmint bullet and works fine for that purpose.

During a 2003 Montana muley hunt, my partner's 12yr old son dropped a 28" buck with a 90yd broadside shot with my old Sako .223 and the 64gr load. The buck was not spooked (didn't know we were there) and on impact he took 5 steps up the hill, turned, came back, and fell on his nose on the spot where he was initially hit. He was double-lunged and both lungs were pretty torn up. While the 64gr. did a fine job, the set-up and shot placement were picture perfect. This load will do the job, but only if you do yours. There is a reason why most states do not allow .22s on big game and it is not because they won't work with the right loads. It is because the basic U.S. hunter is ignorant as to bullet contruction and terminal ballistics, and if left to make their own decision, would invariably chose the wrong bullet.

Page generated in 0.02426 seconds with 8 queries