View Single Post
Old June 7, 2000, 09:41 PM   #1
Keystone

**Note: I posted this before searching further back and finding the "self defense for people with disabilites" thread-- sorry.

I've got some questions I would like help with.

As my topic title indicates, I'm a southpaw who is totally blind in my right eye from an accident. I was left-eye dominant, all the more so since I became a cyclops.

I worked for a while as a (one-eyed)doorman at a "beer and brawl". Yes, it was a stupid thing to do, but the money was great and so were the females who patronized this particular establishment. I noticed some pretty serious tunnel vision when I would get involved in fights with unruly patrons.

Question 1: What can I do to prevent/minimize tunnel vision, an especially critical problem considering my already limited visual field?

Aside from the wisdom of avoiding fist fights (which I now practice...there is a reason why there are no one-eyed boxers), what modifications to fighting form can you recommend? I have always used a "right foot forward" stance, keeping my left hand back in high guard to protect my one good eye.

Question 2: I'm wondering if I should retrain myself to keep my left foot forward and use my left hand to engage the (statistically likely) dominant right hand of my opponent before it can get to my functional left eye. Thoughts?

I'm a healthy 34 yr. old guy (6'1" 205 lbs, 33" waist, 47" chest) but I wonder what my response should be to an unarmed opponent. Since my doorman days, I've gotten older and a lot wiser. I am now VERY conscientious of being one eyeball away from selling pencils on the corner. Suppose some punk starts taking pokes at me with his fists, and (as usual) I'm equipped w/ my P7M8 or a knife. Do I have a reasonable justification to use deadly force? After all, one punch to my left eye, and I might have to live like Hellen Keller.

Question 3:
While this one may belong on the legal forum, do you think my visual handicap justifies a more agressive response to unarmed assault? Or will my overall physical size make a jury unsympathetic?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

[This message has been edited by Keystone (edited June 07, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03578 seconds with 8 queries