View Single Post
Old June 10, 1999, 04:46 PM   #12
Covert Mission

Hi all. Just some observations from an interloper (from GlockTalk).

Rob: i'd love to see your point shooting in action, but I don't think I'll adopt it. At my home IDPA club, we usually have a stage or two which includes targets at between 15 and 25 yards. Try that without sights, I say! I will also tell you that the top shooter at "my" range, Mike Dalton (Calif CDP master-class champion last year, Steel challenge winner, and former IPSC hotshot), doesn't point shoot, and he is SHOCKINGLY fast and accurate. Rare is the target he doesn't clean. I'll stick to my sights, thank you, and try to get occasionally as fast as Mike.

re: Gaming... It seems like the only way the IDPA board could eliminate this entirely would be with a set of highly restrictive rules on equipment. I personally am not interested in that,even though I don't game it. I shoot SSP right now, with my G22 and factory .40 full-power loads. If I wanted the ultimate advantage, I could shoot 9mm and a G34, (or download my .40 loads). It's not what I would choose to carry though, so I don't. I just have to know and feel ok that if I get beaten by a slim margin by a 9mm shooter, I'm probably the better shooter. I am going to level the field a little with my new 1911... everyone in CDP is shooting the same caliber mostly (.45), and presumably they meet the minimum PF. We do have some guys shooting ESP, using very downloaded .40, but unless you use that for carry, it defeats the spirit of IDPA to me. Doesn't seem to bother them a bit! And they win all the time. Oh well.

re: shooting from concealment... My club always has at least one or two stages in each match where concealment is mandatory. We even had one stage recently where you shot three identical strings: 1st from low-ready; 2nd from the holster unconcealed; and 3rd from concealment. That was very instructive, to see how much each one slowed you down.

PS: re- rob's comment: "I won't be happy until I find a competition that appreciates the tactical philosophy of "If all the shots are in the X-Ring, you are shooting too slow"."...
Interesting point, but I have a theory. If you can clean most targets in a match fast enough to win or place, you give yourself this advantage: In a real-life shootout, due to the stress involved, you undoubtedly will shoot LESS accurately. You might then be putting all your shots in the -1 zone, rather than -0. Still very acceptable. If you are a fast and furious match shooter, though, and shoot for less than clean scores for the sake of speed, your shots will too suffer in a real-life shootout. Only then, your shots have gone from the -1 zone to the -3 zone, or even worse--misses. Now you are potentially in real trouble. To my mind, you should improve your accuracy first, and then your speed. You can't miss fast enough to win! IMHO
Just some observations from a lurker,. cheers

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited June 10, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03197 seconds with 8 queries