View Single Post
Old July 2, 2013, 06:50 PM   #42
TXGunNut

It's too bad Winchester no longer makes the 670, basically a no-frills Model 70. I hunted with one for over twenty years and shot thousands (but not 19,000) of rounds thru it before a bit of rifling let go. Yes, it is a push feed and it came in a cheap birch stock. No-frills metal finish and the trigger was not good-but easily fixed. I "replaced" it with a Weatherby Vanguard, Ruger M77 stainless/composite and even a new Winchester Super Grade. None measured up, I snatched up a decent used 670 from the used gun rack and with the stock off my old 670 and a new Redfield scope it out-shoots every rifle in my safe!
Original 670 is on the way back from being re-bored, a custom stock from Boyd's is due in tomorrow and a Leupold VX-3 is on the way from Midway...it's no longer a budget rifle but I could have gone that route.
My point? Sometimes the best budget rifle isn't the latest inexpensive rifle from Savage, Ruger, Marlin, Howa or whoever. Sometimes it's a good solid rifle of proven design with a good variety of parts & accessories available. A solid used Winchester, Remington, Ruger or Savage may cost a little more than the cheapest new "entry level" rifle but I think the value is there, just have to look a little harder for it.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Page generated in 0.02801 seconds with 8 queries