View Single Post
Old November 2, 2008, 02:48 AM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...just because there is always going to be a round with more stopping power, should we go with the one of the least ones out there?
Ok, let's say that we can demonstrate that there's a practical stopping power difference between Round X and Round Y that gives Round X significant edge.

In that case IF going with the more powerful round doesn't significantly handicap the shooter THEN it makes sense to bump up.

The problem is that it's common for people to make two unjustified assumptions:

First that Round X must have more stopping power than Round Y because: (I read it somewhere, I heard it somewhere, my dad told me, it LOOKS more powerful, it has a bigger/heavier bullet, etc.).

Yes, you can get more stopping power, but usually it takes a bigger step up than most people think.

Second that choosing Round X over Round Y makes no difference to anything other than "stopping power". In reality, it's almost never possible to get one thing without trading something else away. In this case, to get a practically significant benefit in the "stopping power" department it's common to have to give up significant advantages in shootability (i.e. recoil/blast/muzzle rise), capacity and platform size/weight.

You can't make a decision in a vacuum, it's important to consider the tradeoffs.

Page generated in 0.02526 seconds with 8 queries