View Single Post
Old March 25, 2013, 04:06 PM   #17
KyJim

Quote:
There are some that are fully capable of running JHP's. My SIG 1911 XO is my best 1911. My Colt's don't feed JHP's, SA's didn't either.
Fair point, though my experience with newer models (last 20 years) has been overwhelmingly good. This issue is present, to a lesser degree, in other semi-autos.

Quote:
where you have to change this and buy that. Cut this and sand down and polish that.
This is mostly from the tinkerer mentality that many have. I've never done anything to mine other than some routine maintenance or something purely cosmetic like grips.

Quote:
Parts are a PITA to interchange with over 100 different manufacturers making the 1911 right now. Nothing is "drop-in" really. If you shoot a lot you need access to parts like you need air.
But most of the general maintenance items are drop-in (springs, primarily). Now, if you want a different trigger, barrel, grip safety, etc., then there will be some deviation (again, the tinkerer mentality). However, that also means you have a much wider choice. How many manufacturers make barrels for a SW M&P? One or two? How, many for a 1911? A dozen? What happens in a few years when H&K stops making a particular model of gun? The parts eventually start drying up. I just don't see that as an issue with the 1911.

Quote:
Tuned and running them for offensive purposes? Like SWAT, FBI, etc...fine. But why would one do that? IMO the trigger.
As an offensive gun I get it..kind of..I guess.

Modern pistols for self defense when the criminal has the drop on you basically all the time? I'd stick to a double stack 9mm.
Whatever floats your boat on this but if someone is used to the manual of arms and can efficiently draw and flip off the safety, how is it not a good defensive handgun? Sure, if you're not going to actually shoot the gun, just stick it in a nightstand, something else might be better (I would suggest a revolver for that). I do understand the grab and shoot attraction of double action handguns. I also can't deny that more rounds is better than less rounds but that's part of the compromise you get with the ergonomics of a 1911. BTW, with a 9mm 1911, it's 9 or 10 rounds plus one chambered.

Page generated in 0.02608 seconds with 8 queries