View Single Post
Old January 13, 2014, 05:08 AM   #3
HiBC

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything..you do it your way.

If you have access to a Bridgeport type mill,I have squared and crowned a number of barrels by swinging the ram off to one side and hanging the barrel off the side of the table,verticle.I have a precision angle plate with a vee groove in it that makes this easy.A large ball mill spots a [pretty good recess crown.

Brownells used to offer a solder on choke tube sleeve.It takes Tru-Choke,slips over the OD of a barrel.You may have to carefully bore the id of this choke sleeve to fit your barrel.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod7754.aspx

OOPS!It seems they offer 12 ga,and you have a 20.

But,instead of editing this idea out,I'll leave it.If you are pretty good with that lathe...I'd look for a chunk of the right size seamless drawn chrome moly aircraft tube,bore and single point thread it to fit the choke tube of your choice.The idea is still good.If you buy 3 feet of tube,you can try several times!Aircraft Spruce or MSC might have some tube.

Make up a split figure 8 barrels clamp to go just behind the soldered on sleeve,rather like the typical barrel/mag tube band on a lever action.and work an interal sling swivel QD mount in it.Maybe do not split the very bottom.Your clamp screw ,between the barrels,can engage a slight notch in the barrels.With a little Loc tite bearing mount,it will be stable.

I think if you then mount a nice old ramp front sight base cut to match the length of the choke tube sleeve,the cosmetcs will come together.

You may have to ball mill the underside radius to match sight base/barrel.I think the 400 ish deg f Brownell's Hi-force 44 solder will do,and a blind .093 dowel won't hurt.

That how I put the ramp back on my 44 mag Super Blackhawk long ago when I cut the bbl.The same solder ought to be great for the choke sleeve.

Even Numrich advertises on e-bay.I have found parts for a first series circa 1920 Winchester 52(barrel band and original ladder type sight,trigger and sear,pre speed lock),a Remington 513T,and a Remington model 81 so far,among others.Its worth a try,and try again next week!

Last edited by HiBC; January 13, 2014 at 05:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.02551 seconds with 8 queries