Thread: Goals for IDPA
View Single Post
Old October 14, 2004, 08:24 AM   #3
OF

I know exactly where you're at. The USPSA shooting will help tremendously. And you have the right idea about slowing your splits to improve your transitions, absolutely. The El Prez is the place to practice that.

Have you read Brian Enos book? If not, you absolutely must. I'm not kidding.

http://brianenos.com/store/books.html

Also get Steve Anderson's dryfire regimen:

http://andersonshooting.com/order.htm

I'm willing to bet I can get you to expert no problem by changing how you approach Stage 3:

- get yourself a barricade and setup the stage in your weekly practices. Shoot string 1 until you are no more than 1 or 2 pts down on each target at the end of that string.
- start on your weakside in string 1, finishing on your strongside
- have the target in sight before the buzzer - be leaning out and looking at the target at 'standby'. (this is legal, although some clubs may give you a hard time about it)
- close one eye and get a good sharp sight picture like you're trying to knock a golfball off a post - make getting the hits job #1. Aim for the center of the 0-zone, not just the target. This is important: aim for the exact center of the 0 zone.

As for planning stages, USPSA shooting is going to be a big help. Don't overplan. Keep it simple. Know how many targets there are and about where they are, know where you expect to be reloading, but don't plan every step down the last detail or you'll get confused fast when your plan goes off the rails - which it will. The more skeletonized the plan, the more resiliant it is to accepting changes and unforseen problems. This is where USPSA matches help out alot: an overly rigid plan is going to snowball into a disaster if there are issues at the top od the stage. A more flexible plan will absorb small issues (like a malf eating some of your ammo, extra shots to make-up bad hits, etc) and be back on track where a plan that has every round accounted for is going to be worthless.
Quote:
I want less bobbles in basic mechanics.
Dryfire. End of story. You should be dryfiring alot more than you are shooting. Alot more. IMO, dryfire is waaaay more important than live fire. One case in point: Tatsuya Sakai, the Japanese guy who just won (won) the Steel Challenge practices with Airsoft guns all year, comes to the US, live-fires for 3 weeks and wins the freaking Steel Challenge. If that isn't an advertisement for the power and potential of dryfire, I don't know what is.

- Gabe

Page generated in 0.02181 seconds with 8 queries