View Single Post
Old December 28, 2010, 10:10 PM   #1
antibiotic

when barrel maker doesnt do it right for you.

when i had a barrel made by XXX co. I supplied the reamer. had to rent it and have it shipped to them, because they didnt have one. they reamed it out to the cartridge i wanted. when i received the new chamber cut barrel, i coulnt get any cartridges in. I found out through my own investigation the freebore wasnt cut. so i call and ask them what the chamber measurements where. they told me to call the reamer company to get the measurements from them. they did not have them. is this right? wouldnt a service provider print out something they do for a customer? measurements in this case... isnt that what i paid them for? i did send them a couple resized empty brass cases for a little insurance. Anyway, i sent back to get the freebore cut.. If i remember right the reamer only cut a fraction of the freebore. they didnt see that! I did have that measurement included with my order too. it wasnt cut. later..........
I get my barrel back......freebore cut.
Now i do a chamber cast just to see what i got. I really cant do any measurements with this chamber cast i made, but at least i can have a better idea what it looks like. I look at it, and i look at it.... WHAT I SEE,,,, @#%*%!!!! the cast revealed some odd things with the rifling and the throat angle, where the freebore transitions into the rifling. 3 riflings are shorter, start later. and the other 3 lands start earlier in the transition. looks like they bored off center and it took off more rifling on the one side. IF i can see this with the naked eye, theres no telling how much this transition from freebore to rifling is off center. how this would effect bullet jump to the rifling?not good!
Your thoughts? if the reamer is the measurement? i cant ask the reamer What service(s)am i to expect to get this resolved. what would you do in this type of issue? Thanks

Last edited by antibiotic; December 29, 2010 at 09:19 PM.

Page generated in 0.02641 seconds with 8 queries