View Single Post
Old April 16, 2006, 12:19 AM   #12
itgoesboom

Thanks everyone, you have all answered my questions. And I expected to get skewerd for even asking.

My hope was that 500 yards would be realistic. Looking at a couple of loads, I am finding that at 500 yards I should still be at about 1,500ft-lbs of energy, and I think that should be plenty.

I am deciding on the optics next, probably get a Leupold Mark 4 PR scope, or I might go for the Nikon Monarch.

Stock is going to be a Boyds Ross Thumbhole Laminate (will order that on monday). I will do most of the stock work myself, but will probably bring it to a 'smith to do the bedding (nervous about screwing it up).

Already have a bipod that can go with it.

The Federal 180gr Sierra Gamekings shoot real well out of my rifle, and at the increased distance, I won't have to worry about them "blowing up" . I will check with Sierra to see what the velocity range is where they will reliably expand.

I will check a few other loads to see how they shoot in my rifle as well.

After that, I will practice my butt off, and hope that my wife gets me a range finder for Christmas (be about the time the rest of the rifle is fully ready).

Rifle is pretty heavy already, but I don't think the weight will go up too much. Bipod adds some weight, and the laminate stock will weigh more too, but I think <10# is realistic, maybe as little as 9lbs. Rifle is currently about 8.5lbs in it's current configuration.

Looking forward to seeing if this project works out, and achieves what I want.

I.G.B.

Page generated in 0.02735 seconds with 8 queries