View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 12:01 PM   #30
Coyote Blue

Quote:
As long as the liability for ensuring a felon doesn't possess a firearm is on the felon, and not me (as in, they get an added charge if caught with a gun), I think background checks are absolutely un-needed. We haven't seen a significant decrease in violent crime since NICS was implemented; that decrease in crime has been moving steadily since the late 80's. All background checks do is, at the very least, inconvenience a law abiding citizen, and at worst, prevent a law abiding citizen from purchasing a gun.
We had our lowest crime rates in American history before the GCA of 1968,the 4473.no mail order sales and all the other accompanying baggage. Every added layer of gun control added to the upward spiral of the crime rate. By 1980 we had about doubled the crime rate of 1960. We are now back down to close to 1960 levels.

Britain experienced the same bitter unlearned lesson. Until their first real gun controls were instituted in 1920,mainly as a response to Bolshevism fears, their violent crime rate was miniscule. Again every added layer led to more violence, and today, the Brits have outstripped us in violent crime per capita.

It simply doesn't work.

Britains Colin Greenwood on crime quoted in 1976:

Quote:
criminologist, author, former Chief Inspector and Superintendent of West Yorkshire Constabulary
Quote:
Colin Greenwood quotes:
No matter how one approaches the figures, one is forced to the rather startling conclusion that the use of firearms in crime was very much less when there were no controls of any sort and when anyone, convicted criminal or lunatic, could buy any type of firearm without restriction.... Half a century of strict controls on pistols has ended, perversely, with a far greater use of this class of weapon in crime than ever before.
Now,Colin is my kind of guy. My gosh,he makes sense!

Will his observations lower the fears of those who feel some gun control is essential? We have 16 on this poll so far. The answer is maybe.

They are quite in the minority though ,as we see. 1 out of 4. TFL does rock!

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921

Last edited by Coyote Blue; April 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.03878 seconds with 8 queries