View Single Post
Old April 18, 2013, 04:18 PM   #1
breakingcontact

Which Savage rifle?

I am looking for a general purpose rifle. I'm not new to guns, but for practical purposes, I am new to bolt action rifles.

-I have a local range where I "can" shoot up to 1000 yards. Not that I plan to regularly, but the option is there and I would like something capable of accuracy at least at 500 yards.
-Additionally, I'm not an active hunter, but would like to go sometime.
-I'm not overly price sensitive, but can't go beyond $600 or so.

I am looking at the following rifles:

Savage Axis (available locally for $280)

-I know this rifle is bottom of the barrel for Savage. If it's reliable and built to be durable, I am interested in it.

Savage 110/111 (available locally with scope for $500)

-I don't recall the scope it comes with, this is from Academy Sports.
-Overall I like the feel much better than that of the Axis although I don't care for the longer barrel.

Savage Scout (available through gunbroker for $500-$600)

-I really like the idea of scout rifles, but admit I don't know if they are practical in actual use.
-I do like the iron sights for backup. Can a scope be mounted traditionally on this rifle?

Savage 10FP (available through gunbroker for $700+)

-I had one of these years ago, I enjoyed it, but didn't have a long range to shoot at.
-I like the heavy barrel, but these seem to be the most costly of all the options

Savage 11 VT (available locally through Dick's Sporting Goods for $550)

-This is the one I'm most interested in.
-It comes with a Bushnell 4-12 x 40mm scope (I believe)
-Is this rifle going to be an issue though as it's a unique model to Dick's. I don't want to run into any issues with parts not being available or interchangeable if this is an odd model.

Thanks for whatever advice you can give. Basically, I'm not against any of the rifles and understand most of their strengths and drawbacks. I am of course attracted to the Axis for the price, but if I can get a much better rifle, for just a few hundred more, I'd like to go that route.

Page generated in 0.02451 seconds with 8 queries