View Single Post
Old August 18, 2012, 03:48 PM   #44
Clark

We had loosely defined requirements for the OP.
If all some guy want to measure his 30-06 is less than 3.34" so it will fit in the magazine and the brass is less than 2.494" to fit in his chamber, then that is satisfied with a lower level of calipers.
But if someone adjusts his caliper dial on a .3570+" pin gauge to read .3570", and then measures a bullet to see if it is .357" or .358", and in 10 measurements gets a spread of numbers from .355" to .340", then he may not be satisfied with the range of quality in $20 calipers.
He might be happier with the higher level $90 calipers that in 10 measurements that very likely can give a spread from .3570" to .3572".
That said, there is a real percentage of the $20 calipers that are shipped with the higher level precision, that may last years.
So with few of us posters that own more than a half dozen dial calipers, what we get are opinions based on anecdotes.

What does it all mean?
I can't tell if the OP will be happy with $20 calipers.
1) I don't know enough about his usage.
2) I don't know how lucky he will be on the quality they ship him.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Last edited by Clark; August 18, 2012 at 03:53 PM.

Page generated in 0.02705 seconds with 8 queries