View Single Post
Old July 17, 2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Well I'm another old time instructor teaching police and deputies to shoot back in the 70's when the only pistols on the rage were their BUG .380's and my 45. After a couple of classes they stopped making fun of my 45 and they started listening when I was out shooting them with their own guns. I stressed over and over and over again it was the first good shot that won a fight and not the first shot. During time and rapid fire drills I told them over and over again they do not get any extra points for getting all their shots off first, they get the points for hitting the target whatever it was that day. It took quite awhile but I finally got the students I had slowed down and shooting accurately and there is no doubt in my mind that this training would stay with most of not all of them.

We had a couple of cowboys who were into quick draw and fast shooting who were unhappy with my way of teaching and neither of them was still on the force a year after the class. One was gone in less than 3 months.

Attitude wins fights and if you have the right one you will do what you have to do. If you are on a hair trigger you may kill somebody alright but who will you be killing and was the person killed the one that needed killing. Attitude, you gotta be in the right frame of mind but till you are in the balloon up scenario you won't know what you will do or how well you will do it but the well trained man will do better more times than not than the cowboy. The cop in the OP adjusted and ended up doing well, apparently the bad guy never adjusted and had no training to fall back on. Adrenaline will only take you so far.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Page generated in 0.02549 seconds with 8 queries