View Single Post
Old March 25, 2009, 06:23 PM   #19
BillCA

Do look at the older 1st through 3rd generation S&W metal framed pistols. Some of their single stack 39-series guns are just wonderful for CCW.

The original S&W 9mm was the Model 39. It is a single-stack, 8+1 alloy framed pistol with good handling qualities and it's attractive to boot. The most common is the Model 39-2. These were designed as a "service pistol" for military & police work, yet they are not hard to conceal. They're only slightly smaller than a Colt Commander.

Successors to the 39 series include all of the single-stack S&W pistols. Some of these are available in 9mm, 40 and .45 Caliber. One of the most successful is the "Ladysmith" 3913 model (shown above) by KyJim. Less hyped is the model 3914 which is a similar pistol in black without the Ladysmith touches. This 3914NL had some carry wear on it when I bought it and I've added to that wear, yet it's one of my favorite carry guns because it's light, reliable, accurate and fast.

The S&W 457 is a compact .45ACP with a 6+1 capacity that's about the same size as the 3914 above. The CS-9 features a sub-compact 3" barrel with 7+1 capacity in 9mm. The best part is that most of these pistols sell on the used market in the mid to lower $400's in LNIB condition.

The 457, CS-9 and CS-45 are still in production and range from $600-$690.

The HK P7 is a fine pistol and for the price of one you can buy 3 S&W pistols. If you liked the Walther P1/P-38 design, you'll find it is almost duplicated in the S&W pistols, with a more traditional look.

I've handled and fired the Springfield EMP-9 and if the money was available, I'd certainly add that to my collection. Small, compact, accurate and nicely balanced for the 9mm.

Page generated in 0.02391 seconds with 8 queries