Thread: Combat Shotgun
View Single Post
Old June 4, 1999, 01:13 PM   #2
TTed

1. Ghost ring sights are basically aperture rifle sights with a blade front and a large aperture rear sight. They really do allow you to fire slugs much more accurately. Tritium inserts are nice if you want to spend the money, but I don't think they're necessary.

2. The International Wound Ballistics Assoc recommends #1 buck, but I think Federal Tactical H132 or Winchester Low Recoil buck which comes in 00 is a better choice. The reduced loads kick much less so you have faster shot recovery, and the low recoil loads pattern much better than standard or magnum loads. This is because the reduced charge causes less pellet deformation when accelerating the shot charge and rounder pellets fly truer.

3. I have a Mossberg 590A1 with a Vangcomped barrel and it does make a huge difference in patterning. Using Federal Tactical 00 buck, the gun will pattern 7" at 25 yards. With a cylinder bore, normal patterns might be expected to be 20" or more. Installing choke tubes would tighten patterns, but I don't know how much. Vangcomped barrels shoot slugs very well.

4. I have a sidesaddle carrier, and find it doesn't unbalance the gun, but this is purely a personal preference thing.

5. My opinion is pistol grips are a complete waste. Why have a long gun with its ease of hitting targets at longer ranges than with a pistol and ruin it with a pistol grip?

If I were you, I would install some ghost ring sights (no tritium inserts), get some Federal Tactical H132 00 buck or Winchester Low Recoil 00 buck and pattern the gun. Then you can decide if you want to spend more money on Vangcomp or something else.

Ted

Page generated in 0.03454 seconds with 8 queries