Thread: .30 Newton
View Single Post
Old February 14, 2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Trapper L

It most likely is the 30 Belted Newton. This was a fabulous caliber in its day and few rounds today even get close to the efficiency of the cartridge. This cartridge is also known as the 30/338 mag. You can make brass several ways. Use 7 Mag brass and neck it up or take 338 mag brass and neck it down. I would use the 338 mag brass and neck down as this was the way the old timers did it and the chamber is probably reamed to accomodate the little extra thick neck. If you need loading data I have a bunch as I have one in a Remington 40X. If you just want to push the bullet, try a 150 gr Sierra HPBT at 3650'ps out of mine. It's explosive on a coyote. My bench loads would be the 190gr Winchester HPBT at 2700'ps which is not near max. It is one heck of a cartridge and it won't disappoint.
If you have a 7mag or have a piece of empty 7 mag brass, drop it in the chamber. If it loads in the chamber and the bolt closes, it's the Belted Newton. I would suggest RCBS dies. I've had issues with Redding and others for this cartridge. I am assuming that you own the gun. If not and you are going to pass on the purchase, kindly PM me, I would be a player for the gun.

Page generated in 0.03278 seconds with 8 queries