View Single Post
Old March 6, 2001, 02:30 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

posigian - We really have to get to the bottom of your scale problem for the good of a fellow TFL'er (and his fingers and gun ). A set of calibration weights, while useful, will not fix a problem like you described.

I am assuming you are using a properly zeroed beam scale, not an electronic one. I just did a little experiment to see where a .357 Mag case will overflow (I used a Starline case). It starts to overflow at exactly 19.0 grains. This, to me, is very suspicious because it is exactly 10.0 grains over what you thought you were measuring. On my scale this is two notches off on the larger sliding weight. So the question is are you setting the large weight in the correct notch so that you refine the weighing with the small weight? On my scale the large would be in the first notch away from 0 and the small would be in the 4.0 notch. What would they be on your scale?

If my assumption is wrong and you are using an electronic scale, you need to send it in for repair or replacement. It is obviously too far off on the low end. This can be caused by a binding shaft or load cell or by not having the scale on a level surface.

Page generated in 0.02454 seconds with 8 queries