Thread: Major re-think?
View Single Post
Old January 31, 1999, 11:54 PM   #25
Gattling

The above discussion was not complaining but rather thoughts about the scale on which to measure the potent of projectiles that is supposed to be rewardable in ipsc type competition.
No spesific limits were named, should one insist using biggest,baddest etc. etc. the energy limit can be set at 20KJ(s=0) so that .50BMG won't make it without excessive pressures.
I really can't understand a point that $4 taiwanese calculator is too much if one can't compute the energy in his mind. And why should one ? If the event participated is of any significance there will A) be laptops present for following the the progress of the competition real time and to provide competitors and spectators with the knowledge of their present standings between stages. B) the "PF" calculation is worry of the organising party anyhow.

For matters of simplification it could be assumed that terminal ballistic behavior of all the bullets is equal, thus leavings us only the energy to worry about.

As seems that many insist on animalistically simple analogues: Fairly stiff load of 5.56Nato makes just about major whereas Nato spec. .45acp load makes it easily. Where can be found those persons that rather get shot with the rifle than the pistol ?

The reason why Jet and Burner don't "complain" about PF is most likely divided in two parts, first of all they're professional gamesmen so it's completely irrelevant to them if they were throwing toilet seat covers at the targets as long as they get paid the heaps they do. And secondly burner is former electrician and Jet whatever by education and trade, they simply totally lack the education to understand higly complex dynamics and fysics and thus they most likely haven't give a second thought to the trueness pf evaluation and even if they have the above reason applies, attleast publically.

For example practically none of the Indy/CART drivers can comprehend the complexity of the stress analysis, aerodynamics and uneven gasdynamics involved in creating competetive vehicle for them.

Equally I'm pretty sure that most pros have enough to worry about in their own practise and developement rather than the gun as long as it goes bang, the bullets land where aimed and load/gun meets the rules. (yeah yeah fits hand etc. etc. the usual things)

If the departments of ordnance had been listening to gun "gurus"(=old fat gitts) around the world, the infantry battles would be still fought with "good old rugged and reliable weaponry" like single shot rifles, since "a repeater rifle will only lure troopers to waste their ammo".

At the point when any society involved in any technological interest throws the anchor and refuses to develope since a "guru" says something theres something seriously going wrong.
Analogue to point succesfulness of anti guruism and scientfic aproach is Glock gmbh, what I know Gaston Glock had never fired a weapon before the project. How large percentage of US LEOs use glocks these days?

Even if the "founding fathers of ipsc" had to set the PF evaluation the way it is because of lack of chronys and calculators (and not because of social interest in "Man's guns" and economical connections in modifying such . Why should we let that keep us down, at the days that only place one sees a ballistic pendulum is museum.

And finally if energy doesn't work terminally in real world, I'd like too see the dude too that stands next to PF=0 stationary device, derivated from one german jewish egghead fysicist's thoughts shuch as E=mc^2
The lad really isn't hurten when he turns into plasma, since it's only energy and no momentum ended up to him before total disintergration.

"In the future I will understand better"
Gattling =

Page generated in 0.02900 seconds with 8 queries