View Single Post
Old May 15, 2008, 08:54 AM   #30
Slamfire

I followed up on the GB lube idea, went to Surplus Rifles read the article, then went and did a web search.

I found this thread where a guy warned he had case and sizing die corrosion due to GB lube residue.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=154311

Quote:
GB Wire-Aide Corrosive?

GB Wire-Aide Wire Pulling Lube may be corrosive to brass and steel.

The Continuing Examination of Lubes claimed that GB Wire-Aide works well, and I found that it does. I even told y'all how well it works in this message. Well, last weekend I lubed up 50 rifle cases with JB Lube, resized half of them, and then had to set the batch aside. A few days later I went to finish them. Around the base of each round, where the sizing die had pushed down excess lube, a ring of lube had dried. When I scraped some off with a fingernail, I found that it had turned light green. After tumbling the brass shows no staining or pitting, but the green is a sign that JB Lube was reacting with the copper in the brass case.

When I went to clean the sizing die before switching back to my old trusty lube, I found some smooth black stains on the expander ball and a small amount of very fine rust-colored dust inside the die. Concerned, I cleaned the other sizing die I had used with JB lube. It also had a small amount of rust-colored dust inside.

If you're cheap like me, or just adventuresome and like to try odd things, be cautious of JB Lube. It may be harmful to your brass and dies.

Has anyone else had rust or brass corrosion due to GB lube?

Page generated in 0.03063 seconds with 8 queries