View Single Post
Old June 11, 2012, 08:17 PM   #9
mikld

Politics aside, any money spent on any SmartReloader product is a total waste. I saw their "C" press advertised and thought that mebbe I could use one for odd jobs. Defineately not a copy of the Lee Reloader press. I got it set up and tried to size some .38 Special brass. Aside from the gritty/rough operation, the press didn't have enough leverage to run the brass into the carbide die; very difficult, even when cases lubed. Almost felt like the ram might be binding at some point in the travel. There is so much slop in the ram/frame fit every case had to be guided into the die, every time. About 1/8" off at the top of ram travel. Didn't check, but frame could be mis-drilled also; die threads and ram don't line up. Decided to try and prime some brass, .38 Special, with a ram prime. Again each primer had to be guided in or it would hit the case head. But, I was able to run some .44 cast bullets through a Lee sizing die to attach some gas checks, but with some difficulty. I hope no new reloaders wind up with one of these presses because the operation would be so difficult/frustrating they would prolly give up on reloading forever.

Two good things about this press. One, it has a nice wooden knob/ball on the handle. And two I keep it where I can see it each time I open my reloading cabinet to remind me NEVER buy Smartreloader again...

Page generated in 0.02150 seconds with 8 queries