Thread: Canned hunt
View Single Post
Old February 28, 2007, 09:42 AM   #21
MEDDAC19

dustoff

You don't have to travel to another state for hog hunting. The PGC has stated that hogs are not game, and are not regulated by them, this said, they do advocate the shooting and killing of them whenever you get the chance. The reason for this stand is that there are hogs roaming the hills of PA and they are successfully reproducing.

Due to many hog hunting preserves going out of business and releasing their little piggies, there are many areas now in PA that you will find populations of hogs that can be hunted. You will have to do your homework to find them, but they are here to stay unfortunately.

This Fall-Winter there were several successful hog hunts conducted in Bradford and Susquehanna counties. A check with some of the Amish farmers in Bradford county will probably give you some places to start. There were several hunting preserves in Tioga county that have released Russian boar and razorbacks, so this county should also be a place to checkout.

I'm sure if you contact the PGC you will be able to find other areas in the state that the hogs are becoming a problem. The good thing about the hogs, (not that having them here is good), is that since they are a domesticated animal, the PGC has no authority over them and they can be hunted without a license and at any time of the year.

You will also be able to hunt them with semi-automatic rifles as long as there is no legal big game in season while you use them. I know that there are hogs in the Pocono region but gaining access to much of the private land there is difficult.

I also hunt with my Weimaraner over stocked birds and don't consider this a canned hunt.

Page generated in 0.03396 seconds with 8 queries