View Single Post
Old August 4, 2014, 02:07 PM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimio
To just be clear, I'm in no way supporting what the anti's are saying, I'm just throwing out arguments that I can see them or have had anti-gun types throw at me on various other topics.
I don't think anyone here is accusing you of joining the antigun crusade, Kimio.
Quote:
My brother has expressed numerous times that he is not against guns per say, but is against nut jobs and what have you from getting a hold of one. . . . .
Ask him to define "nut jobs." This topic can get really sticky when you get down to the details, but the fact remains that anyone who has been adjudicated mentally defective, or involuntarily committed to a mental institution is already prohibited from possessing a firearm. 18 U.S.C. 922

If he thinks that anyone who wants a gun should have to undergo a psych eval, that's a whole different kettle of fish. Who gets to do the evaluations? Who gets to decide what a disqualifying factor might be? Who bears the cost? At what point does any of that begin to infringe upon a constitutionally-guaranteed right? How long before someone pushes the idea that "if you want a gun, it means that you're predisposed to violence, and therefore disqualified from owning one?"

Quote:
. . . . He acknowledges the laws are not working, but seems to fail to fully comprehend that what we need is to have the laws already in place to be enforced, not more to bandage the leak that's already occurring. . . .
So our federal government has already publicly stated that it doesn't have the time to prosecute "paper crimes" (straw purchases), but he wants to enact more laws? How, exactly with those same folks find the time to prosecute crimes under these hypothetical new laws?

Personally, I'm not inclined to jump through any more hoops. I'm not inclined to pay any more fees, have any more folks nosing around in my background (than I already have), drive to my FFL for any extra transfers than I already have to. I haven't shot anybody. I haven't threatened to shoot anybody. All of the new gun control legislation would place additional burdens on those just like me, those who haven't done a thing to deserve the extra burdens. Have him read: Okay, I'll play.

Page generated in 0.02585 seconds with 8 queries