Thread: Getting a CCL?
View Single Post
Old April 13, 2009, 07:43 AM   #16
The Great Mahoo

Getting your Concealed Permit can be quite a change for most people. I remember how nervous I was when I first got mine when I turned 21.

I was afraid people would see it and panic, causing a scene. When I got used to the idea that most people couldn't be bothered to notice, even if I were to open carry, things got a lot easier. I was still weary that my friends and family would notice and say something to me, since it really wasn't a conversation that I wanted to have with them. My father likes to rough house a bit, always playfully shoving or punching from time to time. I remember when he first reach out and caught the edge of my gun; he didn't even say anything about it. The next time I saw him he asked how long I've been carrying, how often, etc. He is into guns too, so he didn't care, he was just curious. Once I got past that, it was a breeze for anything else.

As for physical changes to be made for carrying, I can only echo what others have said here. Dress around the gun, but I will add not to suddenly change dress at once. That is, don't start dressing out of the ordinary or people will wonder what you are up to. If you are one to condemn untucked shirts as slobish, then you start walking around untucked to conceal a gun, people are going to look at you funny and make you uncomfortable (for example.)

You are going to have to make a few changes to carry, making sure that you can accomidate your chosen gun so that it won't print. Looser clothes can help, but the best thing is to just pick good equipment that is comfortable. Some OWB gear will require very little change, aside from a cover garment. In Florida, this may not be the best option. IWB holsters can be readily concealed for most any gun, but do require a bit more room in your pants. Of course, you could always opt for pocket carry with a small firearm, in which case you just have to get used to not using that pocket for other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSoul
How many carry a semi-auto as opposed to a revolver, or vice versa, and why exactly? personal preference is is there another reason, i assume its easier to get a larger caliber in a more compact package if you choose revolver, but i am not sure
I carry both (though not at the same time.) These days I favor revolvers, especially for concealed carry. I find them to be simple, easy, and very dependable. However, I grew up on auto's and find I just can shoot them better. My main carry gun is a Glock 36(.45acp though it rotates w/ a Taurus 651 (.357) every now and then. I hope to add one of the new .327's to my collection to be my new main carry gun, but haven't been able to find one.

One more reason I prefer carrying a revolver vs an auto is extra ammo. I don't like carrying a thick magazine in my pocket, or even on my belt for that matter. Concealing a strip of extra rounds for my revolver is no problem; they disappear in any pocket very easily and comfortably. I don't usually carry reloads with me though, so its not a big deal.

Page generated in 0.05302 seconds with 8 queries