View Single Post
Old February 20, 2006, 05:14 PM   #5
andyrnokc

I started hunting deer this year with a shotgun after I impulsively sold my 30-30. The shots I take are not going to be in excess of 150 yards on the family farm. So I bought a NIB Remington 1100 on GunsAmerica with the rifled barrel for 400 bucks; I thought this was a great deal. I shoot the Remington Core Lokt Ultras, 385 grains I think and they are fantastic. At the indoor range with a Nikon SG scope 2x7 I can touch a 3 shot group together. At 100 yards we are talking a 1.5 inch group consistently. Fantastic. I don't doubt I could push this slug to 200 yards and be 4 inches. Not so bad for a shotgun.

I also found a NIB retro fit Black Powder barrel from Hastings Barrel for this 1100. This would be my first black powder anything. I called Hastings and they went out of production in 1992, I couldn't believe I had found one NIB from corsonsbarrels.com. This thing shoots like a house on fire.

So now I have a 26 inch barrel I use for birds and turkey, just thread in a new choke. I have one gun, I trust it and will not be parting with it.

I took 2 deer this year with the slugs, one was at 75 yards out of my tree stand and was a nice 8 pointer. I held on his left shoulder on a quartering towards me shot. He crumpled on to his right side. When I got up to him, my entry hole was exactly where I had held.

I love my slug gun and honestly believe I could effectively use it to 200; but that would be an absolute max and I would really consider getting in closer for that shot.

Andy

Page generated in 0.03505 seconds with 8 queries