View Single Post
Old January 12, 2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

Does action type figure into the question?

Dick Casull developed the 454 Casull using 45 Colt brass.

Go to the web site "Ballistics by the inch" and figure out how much velocity you lose in the Alaskan 454 short barrel vs the Blackhawk's longer barrel even thought the max 45 Colt load out of the Blackhawk has less charge.

It would take some load development to figure out the maximum power levels you could get out of each with each's barrel length, but I suspect H110 out of the Blackhawk would deliver decent velocity where H110 out of the Alaskan would waste a lot of H110's power and a faster powder might do better. But that is a discussion for another forum.

For self-defense against an attacking large bear, unless I were well-practiced with the single action, the double action would get my vote. In a firefight, the quick reload factor of the double action would be the deciding factor.

Between a hot 45 Colt and the 454 Casull, it is pretty much a toss-up, ballistically. The 45 Colt may deliver the same bullet as the 454 Casull at a somewhat lower velocity still has enough energy/momentum to do the job. That is, while internal and external ballistics favor the Casull, terminal ballistics (what the bullet does to the animal) are a closer call.

A Redhawk in 44 Magnum or 45 Colt with a 5.5" barrel would probably be a better choice than either. In my opinion.

Lost Sheep

p.s. All the foregoing applies only if you can handle the round. If you can't hit what you are aiming at (and fast) a 22 rimfire will do just as well.

Page generated in 0.03605 seconds with 8 queries