View Single Post
Old November 15, 2012, 09:22 PM   #38
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyota1
taylorce1, the 223 was originally designed to stabilize a 55 gr bullet. The original military 5.56 was a 55 gr hard ball 1 in 12" twist. The 22 250 was designed to get optimum accuracy with a 55 gr bullet, at least that's the notion I had.
Yes the military quickly went to a 62 grain ball ammunition requiring a faster twist than a 1:12. Who knows for sure what bullet that they intended the .22-250 to be used with it had been wild catted for several years before it was commercialized. It was very popular for pushing sub 50 grain bullets past 4000 fps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsing
Everyone has stated that a 22-250 needs a faster twist. Does any manufacturer make one or do I have to get one custom made. If so any suggestions on where to get one. Sounds like that would be a great gun
I don't know if anyone is making a faster twist .22-250 currently. IIRC Savage or Remington maybe both made one a few years back with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist. I don't think it was that popular as without support of factory ammunition for a fast twist barrel there wasn't much of a demand for the rifles. The guys that wanted a fast twist .22-250 were just building what they wanted.

Page generated in 0.03831 seconds with 8 queries