View Single Post
Old April 3, 2012, 08:59 PM   #19
Tim R

Quote:
I read on AR15.com that it is not necessary to crimp 223 other than a taper crimp, do you guys feel this is true or false ?
It depends. I load 223 SMK's and hold the bullet in place with neck tension. By using a bushing die, I can make adjustments if need be by changing bushing size. This has worked for me thus far.

Here is the deal. I shoot High Power. If the top shooters are using a crimp, everyone follows. If a top shooter is using case such & such which weights 61.24 grains, everyone will find such & such cases weighing 61.24 grs or as close to it as possible. If the top shooters eat a corn dog 15 minutes before going to the line, you will have point hunrgy shooters eating corn dogs 15 minutes before they report to the line.

Remember when moly was the hot deal? Don’t hear so much about it today. We are back to shooting naked bullets with the exception of a few die hards. Why? Copper is easier than cleaning moly with copper in between layers of moly fouling.

If you are shooting military ball type bullets with a crimp groove then a crimp would be or could be in order. But if you are loading for the next match, no crimp. My 2 cents.

Quote:
In all seriousness, there's only one way to know if a crimp of any sort is good or bad for you, and your load, is to test it both ways and see. There is no one-size-fits-all answer.
!00% in agreement.

Page generated in 0.03154 seconds with 8 queries