View Single Post
Old October 19, 2013, 11:12 AM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

A few counter points...

I hate trigger releases. I like to have my release attached to my bow so I don't have to look at it to attach it when the deer arrive. If you attach a wrist strap release, your hand is locked to the bow. The thumb release attaches and just hangs there and you can grab it by feel, without looking. I've never dropped my thumb release (although I almost did a couple days ago) but I did once drop my wrist strap release trying to put it on after climbing.

Back tension... I don't know any shooter who does use it for targets and doesn't use it for hunting. They might use a different release, pure back tension for target and thumb for hunting, but they still use back tension. It's not as if you can't still "make the shot happen" if you have to, you already know how to do that. Back tension is better. Pure and simple. 97+% of the best shooters in the world use it and every one I know who uses it also uses it for hunting. The only people who can come close to competing with back tension shooters are the same people who are exceptional rifle shooters.

Single cam bows and adjustability.... generally they aren't. Matthew's, for example, has AT MOST about 1" of adjustment and sometimes it changes the let-off if you use it. Some of their bows have no adjustment at all. Bows that use the Hybrid/Cam and 1/2 system usually have 3" or so of adjustment.

Resale... Non-adjustable bows are harder to sell. The buyer must match you exactly (or almost) or buy a new cam. Lighter poundage bows are NOT hard to sell. Go to archery talk. The guys who are into target shooting don't want 70lb bows. They know better. You'll have no trouble selling it there.

Spending big money... No need. I know of few items that lose their value faster than compound bows. A bow that sold for $900 18 months ago can be bought for $350 now. Two years ago, I bought a Hoyt Katera XL that was 1 year old, included a sight/rest/peep/arrows and case that all together originally cost over $1,200... I paid $700. Check the archerytalk classifieds. Whatever you want is there.

Smoothness... today's Hybrid bows are smooth beyond belief. You can't even feel them "break over". Single or dual cam bows of whatever various model may be super smooth too (or may not) but there's no way they're smoother. Certainly not in any amount that matters. Once they're so smooth you can't feel the break, smoother is irrelevant.

Don't get caught up in the "big cut" fad with broadheads. Do a little math. What's the cutting difference between a 2" 2 blade and a 7/8" 4 blade? Hm... not much, eh? However, the small diameter 4 blade will penetrate MUCH better. Muuuuucccchhh better. For broadheads, look no further than Slick Trick. They may well be the most accurate broadhead ever made.

Page generated in 0.03943 seconds with 8 queries