View Single Post
Old March 16, 2007, 09:56 AM   #169
David Armstrong

Quote:
That is EXACTLY what this was-- and the majority of the students had never done FOF training before. The students did not know what the situations would be nor if they would be "fight" or "not fight" scenarios.
But they all knew they were in a non-lethal training scenario, they knew in advance that they would be confronted with a shot/no-shoot situation, they knew when that situation would begin, and there was little if any true surprise to it. Thus I question whether or not the fact that the students maintained a preset type of response is indicative of what would happen in an actual incident.
Quote:
If you want to speculate that people act differently in "real" stress than training stress exercises, that's fine. I would be interested to see scientifically-valid evidence supporting either position.
Although it is not a scientific test, I think that the experiences of the NTI are pretty indicative. Several participants, well-known trainers, have commented on how quickly the trained response they are used to and that they regularly see in others disappears in truly unpredictable situations.

Last edited by David Armstrong; March 16, 2007 at 10:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.02649 seconds with 8 queries