View Single Post
Old September 12, 2012, 03:57 PM   #12
snuffy

A couple of things I can add to the above excellent advice.

The minimum oal of any revolver round is determined by where it must be seated to be properly crimped. You do NOT have those seated deep enough. The crimp groove is clearly visible ABOVE the mouth of the case. Seat it deeper so it crimps into that deep groove, that will prevent it from being pulled/moved forward due to recoil.

If you were going from some reloading book that recommended a minimum seating depth, it was a general depth for a lot of bullets. Or it could have been telling you where to crimp their specific bullet so it aligns with the cannelure. Load adjustment for a deeper seating depth would be less powder to equal the same pressure-hence the same velocity. It's much less critical for revolver rounds than semi autos like your 9mm.

I load a 440 grain .501 cast boolit I cast myself. I can't tell you what the OAL is. It's seated to where the case mouth aligns with the crimp groove.

Of the separate crimp dies you listed, the Redding profile crimp is THE best! I use a lee set just like yours, and I crimp AND seat in one stroke for my lead boolits. If I'm loading jacketed, then I separate the seating and crimping operations into two steps, using the above proceedures. I may get the redding die someday.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02321 seconds with 8 queries