Thread: Bore Snakes
View Single Post
Old March 13, 2008, 01:04 PM   #36
5whiskey

Quote:
There's two areas of a barrel that are critical to accuracy. The crown and the throat. The crown is THE most critical. Wear on one side of the crown will quickly show up on the target.
Agreed.

Quote:
Keeping that rope clean is nearly impossible. Even if it were totally clean, there can be abrasives in the barrel after a hunt. Ever see what wind does to a plowed field? Soil is nothing but tiny chunks of rock.
Moot point. What stops that cleaning patch you put on the jag, or the projectile when you fire the rifle, or the bore brush will push that tiny chunk of rock just as a bore snake will.

Quote:
As far as copper fouling causing rust, well prove it to me. Nothing we shoot these days is corrosive.
I agree copper or carbon fouling doesn't cause rust. Note I said "pitted rust AND copper fouling from 10 years ago". Rust doesn't come from the copper fouling, it comes from having a dry (non clp) bore in high humidity or getting your rifle wet. It is a well known fact that rust and copper fouling do have one thing in common... they don't get easier to clean over time. Never mind I just looked at the last part of your statement their and we're saying the same thing...

Heres the point... 2nd Bt, 8th Marines has had the same M40s for over 5 years now. There have been alot of passes with otis kits and boresnakes, and those rifles still hold their required 1 moa. If I'm at home with my personal rifle I will use the punch rod. If it's not a bother to do it the "right" way, then do so. In the field with field grade rifles, then a boresnake will do just fine.

Page generated in 0.03056 seconds with 8 queries