View Single Post
Old December 8, 2001, 03:52 PM   #6
Jeff White

You did fine. Another option would have been to call the police. Repo guys always drop off a copy of the paperwork at the station and get an officer to accompany them if they think there might be trouble. Don't know if that's SOP where you live. I'm sure my chief wouldn't think very highly of people knocking on doors in the middle of the night wearing vests that say agent. A repossesion is a civil matter not a criminal one. It's settled by folks wearing coats and ties and carrying briefcases not by people trying to convince people that they are somehow cloaked with governmental authority.

If it had been me, they would have been kissing the pavement until on duty officers arrived to sort it out. I never open the door to anyone I don't know until after they have identified themselves to my satisfaction. If it had been real peace officers, they would not have minded a phone check to see if they were who they said they were.

Vests and jackets that say POLICE, AGENT, SHERIFF, SWAT, DEA, FBI can be purchased by anyone. As others have said the use of such clothing is a common method to gain entrance for home invasions and robberies.

I am curious as to who you got on the phone at the bank at that time of night? I'm pretty sure that I'd have followed it up with a call to the bank president the next day, along with a call to the police department, I'll bet they wouldn't be very happy about the AGENT vests either.

Jeff

Page generated in 0.02529 seconds with 8 queries