View Single Post
Old August 28, 2011, 11:32 PM   #53
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
Vanya, as Commander in Chief, he is a lawful target for enemy military operations, so I don't think allowing him some military or LE privileges would be out of line.
It's tempting to agree, but I think "allowing him military privileges" is the thin end of a dangerous wedge...

The balance of power between the three civilian branches of government and the armed forces was, and rightly, a significant concern for the founding fathers, which is why the Constitution not only puts the ultimate authority in the hands of the civilian branches, but divides it between them, with the power to make war resting with Congress, and the power of command resting with the President.

That's a line that's been blurred enough in recent decades, with the way the Presidency has usurped the war-making powers of Congress, and with G.W. Bush adopting military-style clothing ("Mission Accomplished" -- remember that?).

I'm old enough to remember when it was considered improper for the President to return military salutes, because he was a civilian and not in uniform. That, IMHO, was the right idea.

Page generated in 0.02577 seconds with 8 queries