Thread: new to IDPA
View Single Post
Old April 21, 2002, 09:19 AM   #5
Jim Watson

John,

You need a gun - either of your pistols will do fine, the Browning in Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) or the Colt in Custom Defensive Pistol (CDP). Don't sweat the details. Eye and ear protection, of course. Common ball - jacketed roundnose - ammo is best, at least until you very well know the requirements and what other ammo your gun will do as well or better with.

A strong side straight draw holster, either belt, paddle, or IWB is fine. No crossdraw, shoulder, or back holsters are allowed because of the way they sweep the countryside and bystanders on the draw. There is a list of officially approved holsters and a few disapproved ones on the IDPA site; Appendix A to the rules. Again, don't worry about it. Anything but a low-slung speed rig is ok at any local event. Just wear it to place at least the trigger of the gun behind the side seam of your pants.

Magazine carrier. One double pouch or two singles worn behind the other side seam. That is all that is allowed, carry one to load the gun in a pocket, see below.

A concealment garment. Jacket, vest, aloha shirt, etc. that will cover your holster and ammo. Some ranges let novices shoot without concealment until they learn the basics. Some don't.

Magazines, the more the better. Two 10-round BHP or three 7 or 8 - round Colts will get you through any single CoF (Course of Fire), but there may be a "do twice" or two stages in the same range bay. You can have only two ready use magazines on the belt, but can carry one to load the gun with and extras for additional strings of fire in the pockets. I usually start a single stage with two on the belt, a full magazine in the pocket, and an old magazine with a couple of rounds for "Barney Bullets" to load the chamber. If a reload is expected during a CoF, you must *fully* load the gun; 10 9mm or 8 .45s in the mag, plus one in the chamber. If you have high-caps for the BHP, just load the first one with 11. Occasionally you will be told to load a magazine with some lesser number of rounds so as to force a reload when the CoF designer wants you to. Otherwise it is not allowed to download a magazine to schedule a reload when *you* want to.

Although IDPA does not require it, all ranges I shoot at go by the IPSC command at the end of the stage: "Unload and show clear." (You remove the magazine, rack the slide to empty the chamber and hold it back so the Safety Officer can *see* the chamber is empty.) "HAMMER DOWN, holster." With the BHP's magazine disconnector, the only way to get the hammer down on an empty chamber is to put a magazine back in. Best to have an empty magazine in a back pocket for the purpose. I have seen people stick their last partial mag in, dry-fire the hammer down, and withdraw the mag again. That may be ok, but use of an empty mag is easier on the Safety Officer's nerves. Or you can take the magazine disconnector out. It will not affect the gun's operation or safety otherwise and will actually improve the trigger pull. You just have to be SURE the chamber is empty. Just like you do with the Colt already.

Did I say "learn the basics?"
I don't know your level of experience, but you must know:
How to operate your gun. What all the controls do, how to manage the BHP magazine disconnect.
How to shoot your gun. Hitting the target is the idea. It doesn't get any easier under match stress.
How to use your gun. You must be able to load, holster, draw, shoot, reload, move with finger out of trigger guard, move while shooting, use cover, etc., etc., in a safe and effective manner.

It would sure help if you were able to get someone to show you the IDPA - legal reloads. The slidelock reload is pretty obvious, the tactical reload and the reload with retention are harder to describe and should be demonstrated to you.

You can practice a lot of that dry-fire at home.

Don't worry if I have made it sound complicated. The Safety Officers and old hands at the range will help you all that is required to give you a safe and fun day at the match.

Page generated in 0.02123 seconds with 8 queries