View Single Post
Old May 23, 2013, 04:56 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts
It only covers someone who voluntarily submits after certain criteria are satisfied (A doctor determines you are a danger to yourself or others AND a petition for involuntary commitment would be filed in the absence of your voluntary agreement).
That doesn't sound very "voluntary" to me. If I should ever reach a point where some quack wants to have me involuntarily committed, there's no way I'm going to let him (or her) off the liability hook by signing myself in. If the quack thinks I need to be taken off the street, by God he (or she) is going to have to sign his (or her) name to it, because I'm not going to absolve them of responsibility by "voluntarily" committing myself.

And I agree that a law like this will ultimately simply deter people (like me) from seeking help. As a veteran, I have already decided that it would be foolish for me to ever seek any sort of mental health care from the VA. They'd just love to "diagnose" me as having PTSD and reporting me as unfit to possess firearms.

Page generated in 0.02441 seconds with 8 queries