View Single Post
Old October 31, 2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Elkins45

Until you get into the premium bullet territory like with Nosler Partitions, the major factor for me would be which factory load is most accurate in my particular rifle. Every bullet from the prominent ammo makers is perfectly capable of humanely killing a whitetail assuming correct shot placement. It's only when you get into shooting bigger stuff like elk or huge mulies that you might need to start worrying about premium bullet performance.

I used to load 130 Nosler Partitions to hunt whitetails and practice with the Hornady 130 interlocks. For some reason I can't remember I ended up hunting with my practice loads and just kept on using them. I've never noticed a difference in performance---and I've never recovered a 270 bullet from a deer I've shot. Granted, I've never shot through the shoulder blade or front leg bone either, so that might cause a standard bullet to fail. I make it a habit not to shoot at running game so I hope never to find out how anything other than a rib affects a bullet.

Page generated in 0.02562 seconds with 8 queries