View Single Post
Old July 27, 2006, 12:50 PM   #17
H&H,hunter

I haven't posted on this sight for quite some time for personal reasons. But I can't let this one go.

DO NOT use A BIRD DOG for HOG hunting! They will be killed PERIOD!

Hog dogs are a totally different beast than a bird dog. they have instincts that keep them alive while tangoing with a hog. Namely rapid speed and the ability to know when to let go and jump back while never loosing sight of the hog. A good hog dog is an instinctual fighter and must be fearless yet smart enough to know when to back off.

Bay dogs do not have to be very big but they have to be athletic and smart. catch dogs must be seriously tuned up fighting animals that will not let go no matter what like a pit bull, American bulldog, or a Dogo Argentina.

There are several ways to hunt hogs with dogs. One is to use only a bay dog or two. In this case the dog will flush the hogs out of thick cover and chase him until he bays one up usually with a series of quick nips to the hams or testicles. The dog will "hold" the hog in a general area until a hunter can arrive and kill it with a rifle pistol bow or even a spear or a knife if the situation is right. This is what I do with my hog dog. As well as blood tracking.

The other method is to use bay dogs and catch dogs. The bay dogs will do as described then the catch dogs will come in and physically hold the hog until somebody arrives with a knife and kills it. Catch dogs are the ones who usually get hurt or killed by the hogs. Bay dogs tend to live longer but make no mistake they get maimed and killed too.

As far as what dogs to use. Some of the best hog dogs on the planet are Jadgterriers, Catahoulas, Black mouthed curs, various hounds, hound crosses and of course the occasional pound mutt with all the right stuff. they all need to have speed toughness a good nose and ability to fight and move fast.

I like Jadgterriers because they are small fast and make great people dogs when they are not hunting. They weigh about 25lbs and move like featherweight boxers on crack. Hog dogs do not need to be big. I’d put three good Jadgterriers against any other breed on the planet even as catch dogs. They are bred specifically to hunt hogs. And they do it well as either bay dogs or catch dogs.

Jadgterrier

The only problem with the breed is that they can't be trusted when you are away.

Page generated in 0.03432 seconds with 8 queries