View Single Post
Old January 30, 2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Dr. A

Years ago Marlins owners came to the Marlin forum and asked for our wants and desires. This gun was one of them. A longer distance 30 caliber gun. I bought one in 2007 and so far have shot several deer at distances longer than 250 yards. Two of which were over 400. I've never had a shot farther than 419. The guns are more accurate than the typical Marlin and except for some of the problems with the production of this gun type (barrel drooping), this is a rock solid cartridge. Hodgdon imports Leverevolution powder and the 308MX bullet is easy to get ahold of. I've bought a number of seconds and am probably good to go for the rest of my life. My go to load for both of my 308's (son has one), is 41.5gr. of LEV with the 308 bullet. These bullets are thought in general to be a big soft, and fully intended to be used on chests, rather than bowing through bone. Its my favorite gun. Its got less recoil/blast than the 30-06 family of guns, and a similar effect. There is one other loading by Remington that does not have a pointed bullet. Ballistics are impressive because of the bullet Hornady loads. We can buy them locally and have a decent supply. I'd highly recommend it, but if supply is a problem, just buy on the internet like so many have learned to do. I've got 50 other guns. This one is my choice for tough hunts.

Page generated in 0.03277 seconds with 8 queries