View Single Post
Old June 26, 2013, 02:29 PM   #6
PawPaw

Part of the problem with using iron sights on a lever carbine is the sights that came on the carbine. My Win 94 front sight subtends 9" at 100 yards. For target work, it's best to use a good black bullseye and a 6:00 hold, and on good days, when the temps are pleasant and the wind is calm, I can keep my shots in less than 4" at 100 yards. On those other days, I can keep my shots inside that 9" circle that my front sight covers. In fact, that's what I'm trying to do, because I sight my lever guns to shoot into the area covered by the front sight.

Put simply, when I'm cruising the woods, I want to be able to shoulder the rifle, cover my target area with that front sight, and know that my bullet will fall somewhere in that covered area, whether I'm shooting at something 25 yards away or 100 yards away. It's not the best for precision shooting, but it works very well for quick shooting.

Both of my Win 94s carry Williams Foolproof peep sights. The cast bullet I like best is the Lyman 311041, pushed to about 1850 fps. I cast it from my linotype alloy, gas check and size it to 0.309, and double dip it in liquid alox. It never fails to satisfy.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.03587 seconds with 8 queries