View Single Post
Old May 15, 2012, 07:24 AM   #31
Crow Hunter

The M1A kick will be less than a bolt gun of equal weight and less if the bolt gun was lighter. It will be about the same if it was a "sniper" rifle weight.

Keep in mind, if you are going to get a M1A, getting one that is good, may be a challenge. A large number of the rifles coming out now have almost all commercial parts in them. Very few real USGI parts. Sometimes this isn't a problem, sometimes it is. My brother had to send one of his in 2x because trigger parts kept breaking (I never saw which ones), the last time it came back, they had replaced it with a USGI HRA trigger group. He didn't have any other problems after that.

If you are just going to use it for light range fun, it really won't matter. If something fails you can just send it back to the factory and utilize their lifetime warranty.

If you are planning on doing alot of shooting and/or really need to depend on this rifle, you will need to seek out USGI parts and either replace or have the critical commercial parts replaced. That can REALLY increase the amount of money you are going to have tied up in the rifle.

You really need to define what your primary use is going to be.

The M1A/M14 is a fine rifle. But it is heavy, the ammo is heavy, and it is expensive to "scope well", if you get a good one, it is very accurate, if you get a "bad stackup" it will shoot all over the paper until work is done to it.

Just be aware of what you may be getting yourself into before you lay that type of money out and wind up disappointed.

Good luck.

Page generated in 0.02038 seconds with 8 queries