View Single Post
Old July 21, 2000, 10:18 AM   #18
Glamdring

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dogger:
In the past I have done most of my hunting with a bow, so of course I avoid contact with bone. I have friends who always shoot (rifle) their eastern deer in the shoulder, and I have friends who always aim just behind the shoulder, opting for the heart/lung shot. They always get into arguments over which is better. I am a big believer in sectional density and moderate recoil, which is why I own a 7x57mm (175 grain) and a 6.5x55mm (160 grain). I think I would prefer the heart lung shot, with the shoulder the second choice - to minimize meat damage. Anchoring the elk with a shot to the shoulder sure seems to make good sense, though. You've got me thinking on this one...[/quote]

Well if your a bow hunter you know what your doing. And your probably a lot better at tracking than I.
As to shot placement I don't think there is a perfect answer. And if your a meat hunter then the heart/lung shot makes sense. Heck if your a pure meat hunter the head shot makes sense.
I like the 7x57 and 6.55x55 a lot myself. I have a Model 38 in 6.55x55. Federal makes a 140 grain Trophy bonded bearclaw load for the 6.5x55. And the 140 grain 6.5 slug has just a hair better SD than the 160 grain 7mm.

Those premium loads from federal are expensive though. You could PAY your buddy to load 160 grain swifts or noslers for the 7X57 for less than what those factory loads cost [IIRC the 6.5 load is ~$40.00 for box of 20].

Good luck. I would like to know what you decide and how your hunt goes.

Page generated in 0.03308 seconds with 8 queries